July 19, 2012

more pages from the 9x12 journal

are you getting tired of journal pages yet?? lol! I hope not, because I have a few more... and I have photos that I need to get off of my camera, but I haven't gotten around to it- so, till then, journal pages are it!


more pages from my 9x12 journal:

Prayers to Heaven- full page
This page is a watercolored background with collaged paper. Some of the papers used include: an image from a vintage National Geographic magazine; scrapbook paper; photocopied black & white text; green & pink text image from a graphic arts magazine.  The paint texture (look for it in the upper right corner) comes from putting crinkled plastic wrap onto the paint while it's still wet, then letting it dry. 


Closeup of the watercolor texture 
This page is 'done' in the sense that I've written what I want on it, but every once in a while if I land on this page as I flip through the journal, I'll do a bit more doodling on the upper left part of the page




This is a (horizontal) quote page: stenciled watercolor background, teal StazOn stamping (the numbers and the circle design), a bit of paper and tape collage, and a quote by Anais Nin: "We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present and future mingle and pull ius backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, and constellations." I wish my writing was neater (straighter, and more 'interesting' looking)-- it's been a long time since penmanship lessons in school!




This page is pretty simple, with a watercolor background and a few papers I wanted to save: a get-well card my mom sent me while I was recuperating from my second surgery, and a couple magazine / newspaper clippings she sent along with the card. (thanks, Mom; I love getting fun mail!)



Another quote page: a watercolored background over gesso that was scraped through a stencil (the squares and rectangles), Sharpie and white pen border. The image is from a magazine, and the quote was written on with a blue Sakura glaze pen. The quote is by John Muir: "Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul." I really like this magazine image, and was glad to finally find a page to use it on: it reminds me of summer vacations on the Loon Lake in Minnesota, which are some of my most cherished memories. Memories of the lake, the dock, and loons on the water are the  'happy place' mental images that I use to relax and unwind during times of stress (I don't think about the mosquitoes that I'm sure were there, lol!).

I have been having a good time working in these two journals lately; watercolor paint is such a quick, easy way to get color onto the page! Especially with the low humidity here; it takes practically no time at all for the paint to dry!! (there's got to be something good about summer in Arizona, righ?!?)









No comments: