February 13, 2007

paper and thread...

A set of three cross-stitched flower cards. I got inspired to break out the perforated paper and embroidery floss after finding these patterns in a really old craft magazine Mom mailed to me. I used to do so much cross-stitching; before this, I don't even remember the last time I did it. It's pretty fun, and easy to do in the evening- one eye on the TV, one eye on the chart! They're for sale in my shop, separately or I could sell them as a set. I think they'd make beautiful Easter or Mother's Day cards... but then again, my Mom sends me embroidered cards all the time, so maybe I'm biased! This one was sort of an experiment- I didn't have an iris-folding pattern for it, so I just made it up as I went along. I thought the folds of the paper would sort of mimic the ribs of the cactus. It's not this washed out in real life, although it does need a little something- perhaps some dark blue inking along the edge of the background?? I also just threw in the top edge corner punch detail at the last minute, and I think that added a nice touch. It's also for sale in my shop; I added a section titled "Southwest Inspired" for some of the cards and home decor items that I have in my head inspired by the desert... a hummingbird iris-folded card and a wool felt candle mat are next!

No comments: