September 13, 2010

I'm feeling cuckoo, part two!

here's the second post of cuckoo clock pics, with all the fun shots of the mechanisms...

This one shows the entire clock-- it is amazing how elaborate these are, and that all the mechanisms are truly only mechanical-- just gears and wires that connect everything. There is a woodsman who saws wood, a woman feeding chickens, two goats who butt heads, dancers who spin around, a bell in the tower that moves, and of course, the cuckoo comes out and does his thing.

Even the clock hands are wood! The picture above is the cuckoo coming out on the hour-- I love the little balconies with the window boxes, too-- it reminds me of some of the small towns in Southwestern Wisconsin, in the area where I grew up. (Since that area was settled by European settlers, there are a couple really interesting towns full of this sort of architecture... New Glarus and Mount Horeb, WI are two of them... very interesting little towns set in the rolling hills, full of antiques, gift shops and interesting attractions- don't miss the Mustard Museum in Mount Horeb, where they display mustards from all over the world!)
the woodchopper has been hard at work, here. I think there's a box of coal (?) behind him, too. He saws wood once per chime, on the hour-- so he's really busy at noon and midnight.
The woman feeds the chickens on the hour, as well... I like this little dog, too, with his tiny house!
This shot is of the roof area-- there are gutters on the edge, and small rocks on the roof. (I think this is a traditional element of the chalet, but I have no idea what the reasoning is behind it- if anyone can help me out, please let me know.) The bell in the tower moves on the hour, as well, along with the dancers spinning around.
and, last but not least, my favorite little touch: the goats actually butt heads with each other on the hour-- too cute! Of course, this clock doesn't "fit in" with the rest of our southwest decor, except in the fact that it's something we love, and isn't that what decorating is all about??

No comments: