October 23, 2008

links: gardens, books, and blogs- check them out!!

  • One of my very favorite bloggers, Posie Gets Cozy, visited Vancouver, B.C. recently... I have wanted to visit this public garden (fifty-five acres of gardens created out of an exhausted limestone quarry) for years, ever since I saw pictures of it in The Golden Age of American Gardens . This is of my favorite gardening/history books, actually- the historic photographs and hand-colored slides that are included are incredible.
  • Also, I stopped at Barnes & Noble yesterday, just to troll thru the crafting section... I need to get this book!!! I don't often feel that strongly about buying books, but this one looks amazing: check out the contents page; the scrapbook page shown at the top of it is from 1927! We tend to forget that "art journaling" and "scrapbooking" (the way we do it today) are modern trends, but they're not.
  • One more for you: I have heard of this blog, 37 days, many times before, but never really read any of it. I happened to stumble across this post: Voice your hops and drems a couple days ago, and it sort of smacked me right between the eyes. (Read this post to get the history behind the idea of 37 days.) She also has a new book out: Life is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally (which they did NOT have at Barnes & Noble yesterday when I was there, unfortunately... nor do they have any plans to get it what's up with that, anyway??)
  • Now that I've posted three times in two days, you probably won't hear from me for a week or two, given my past track record... I really need to finish up my Art Unraveled Chunky book pages, so I plan on devoting time this weekend to working on them. Of course, I get sidetracked easily, so I may work on some other things, too.

No comments: