September 16, 2007

the Sunday round-up

In other news here in the desert:

Finally got my eyes checked earlier this week- first eye exam in over 2 years... thankfully, my eyes haven't changed a lot (since my eyesight is terrible as it is)... it was kinda funny- the Dr. said "look into this machine, and you'll see a house in a green field." I told him I'd have to take his word for it, he did some adjustments, and then said "your eyes are bad, aren't they?" Which is true- I've worn glasses since the 3rd grade; still haven't gotten the courage to look into surgery, even though I can't even imagine how nice it would be to wake up in the middle of the night and be able to see my alarm clock.

Tom is getting ready for a week of travel to the east coast... he flies into Jacksonville, Florida and will drive up the coast, eventually ending up outside Philadelphia, where he will fly from on Friday. (I think.)

Yesterday I did lots of errands in town- recycle place to drop off the plastic and glass (which they don't pick up at the curb here...), post office to mail a swap package to Israel (unsuccessful, since the local post office doesn't have counter service on Saturdays- which stinks!), grocery store to stock up... I also did my first Curves workout at the local Curves franchise yesterday. I joined earlier this week; they're having a "back to school" promotion- bring in 10 school supply items and they waive the signup feel. I finally decided that the 100+ degree temperatures here in the summer isn't really a good enough reason to not exercise.

Yesterday we cooked our first steaks on our gas grill- the grocery store had NY Strip steaks on sale for half price... I did a bit of internet research, and we ended up marinating them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and worschestershire (sp?) sauce. They turned out pretty good, considering our meat thermometer doesn't work. (we found that out when we were checking the steaks for doneness, unfortunately.) The steaks are still on sale for a couple more days, so I'm going to pick up two more, and we can try it again!

Today, we hung out, had Filiberto's breakfast burritos for lunch, watched the Nascar race, and Tom changed the oil in his car while I did the laundry. (You know, those annoying things that have to be done, no matter how much you don't want to do them.) Tonight, we're grilling again (just hot dogs, this time) and it will probably be early-to-bed for us- that 3:30 am alarm clock is a bit annoying. This evening, I will spend some quality time with the heating pad to counter some of the effects of the computer on my arms, and I will try and stay away from the computer next week, although you can see how well that's working right now, can't you! (...it's not!)

have a good week, everyone!

No comments: